Core points for teaching career (Freshers)
Teaching is different from giving speech in a company meeting or giving orders to a subordinate. That is surely not teaching that will be counted under dictating or ordering. In teaching telling people what to do doesn’t include because it there choice whether they will learn or not or think about of it later. Teaching is very part in the education as this will decide the future of that person. The other key aspect of teaching may be that if you just start telling people what to do then the chances of their being creative and taking chances will be reduced and it will increase the dependency on the teacher at high.
Here are the advice taken from the teachers who have been teaching formally in classrooms in schools or colleges and some of them are teaching informally in their offices, during dinner etc. For the faculties who are new in this field follow these steps and it will be very helpful for their teaching career.
1. While teaching don’t think about your own level that how much expert or excellent you are rather than think about them and grab a teaching method that will fill those empty vessels (brains) with their knowledge. Understanding that you are not the focus rather your students are. Be a guide for them with your experiences but try to make them guide themselves with your tips.
2. Study your student or understand them as you need to have the material before you are teaching. Every fresher faculty may be aware about these points like their students’ talents, prior experience and needs. It’s good if you know what to teach but it will be much better if you have the knowledge about the level of your student and teach them according to that pace.
3. The third factor to be kept in mind is building a safe environment for their student so that they will be able to take risk. Creating a safe place in their mind so they can be creative with themselves will result in the learning environment that is emotionally, intellectually and psychologically safe. They should know the fact that they can trust their instructor and will be comfortable in taking risk about what they know.
4. There’s one phrase and it is well said the desire is infectious, if you have the passion for their passion then it will develop their passion grow faster. If the teacher has it, then the students will most likely to catch it. If you have the passion and it has to be genuine that shouldn’t be something that you can fake because your student can get to know when you care or not.
5. Make it clear for them and break the complexity into the simplicity. The chief attribute of a great or good teacher is the ability to break down the complex ideas and make them understandable. What teaching is basically the essence of teaching and learning is communication.